Correspondence to HQ

INITIAL LETTER FOR SUE BEESLEY?

1st December 2008

The response from Sue Beesley the Senior Executive of Customer Relations for Land Rover UK read:

“Thank you for taking the time to appraise us of the concerns and frustrations you have encountered over recent months with your vehicle.

Land Rover as a matter of policy refer all instances involving our products in overseas markets to the National Sales Centre for each particular country. Therefore for that purpose I have forwarded all your correspondence to the Registered Office in Spain.

We apologise for any inconvenience and delays and hope that the reported issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

I am sorry that I have not been able to assist you in a more positive way, but I hope that you can appreciate that there are certain procedures in place that we must follow. However, please be assured that a record of all your correspondence received to date has been kept on file. “

2nd December 2008

We replied as follows:

“Thank you for your reply, the only problem is that all you are doing is passing on this to the Spanish office which is not interested in my case, so I do not expect any progress to be made. Sue Beesley wrote back:

“I am sorry that you are not happy with my response, however, this is the Customer Relationship for Land Rover UK - any issues that you have with your vehicle or indeed the dealership in Spain - must be addressed by them.

I have forwarded your correspondence to the Spanish National Sales Centre with a request that they investigate and respond to your concerns at their earliest opportunity.

Your request for a refund has been noted, however, due to constraints placed upon usunder ConsumerLaw,your contract of sale lies with the vending dealership and not with Land Rover. As such, any decisions made pertaining to the cancelling of this agreement must be made by the vending dealership alone.

Once again I apologise that we are unable to assist you in the way in which you have anticipated.”

We responded to Sue Beesley as follows:

“Thank you Sue for your help andresponse, but surely you have a department there for export sales which can deal with this, because the Spanish office is not interested and I need to liaise with a higher authority.”

She replied to this by advising she had forwarded our correspondence to the Regional Manager for Spain.

5th December 2008

Still without a vehicle we wrote to Sue Beesley again as follows:

“I have not heard anything, and I still don’t have a car! I fly hot air balloons for a living and I have just lost out on earning 1,500€becauseI can’t fly my clients this weekend! Do you know that over the last 6 or 7 weeks, I have only had the car to use for around a week, its been in the dealership the rest of the time!

I am serious about pressing for a full refund plus compensation, seeing that thesupplyingdealer is no longer trading, please advise how I am to proceed?”

8th December 2008

We did receive a response from Sue Beesley by only confirming she had forwarded our correspondence once again to the Regional Manager.

9th December 2008

Having still not heard anything from the Regional Manager we wrote to Sue Beesley again:

“Does Land Roverrealisethat my car has been off of the road now for over a month, and I have not even been given a replacement car to use? Does Land Rover consider this normal practice? Added to this my car was in for repair around two weeks just before this last incident. Are Land Rover able to explain what if any purpose there is to owning a car that I am never able to use?

Iappreciateyour help in trying to deal with my case, but it has been dragging on too long now. Idefinitelyrequire a full refund and have theevidenceof an un-merchantableproduct to confirm this, please could you ask therelevantauthoritieshow they would like me toproceed?”

10th December 2008

We received the following response from Sue Beesley:

“As far as I am aware your vehicle has been repaired and is ready for collection - please contact Benidorm to arrange collection.

Your Contract of Sale lies with your vending dealer, thereforeI would respectfully advise you to discuss your request for a refund with them.”

We replied as follows:

“I had not been advised that my car is ready, secondly the vending dealer is no longer trading, so what do I do now?

With regard to the money that I had to pay to the dealer in Portugal, it has now clearly been proven that thefaultwas a warranty item, so how am I going to be refunded?

Are you the correct person for me to contact, otherwise please advise the email address of the relevant person.”

Sue Beesley responded advising us to contact the Spanish National Sales Centre.

We replied as follows:

“Iappreciateyour help, but do you have an email address for thecorrectperson to contact?

Also can I have the contact information of the person in Land Rover HQ responsible for thedealingwith the Spanish concession, because I am getting nowhere.

As you may realise I am very very unhappy with the car and Land Rover. I am not prepared to let the matter rest, and if I do not receive a refund of the invoice that I had to pay, a full refund for the car I will be embarking on a major campaign to make my plight common knowledge.

Once again thank you for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you with the required information.”

Sue Beesley replied advising us that she had forwarded our correspondence to Carlos Gallego at the Spanish National Sales Centre.

We then had to write to Sue Beesley again as follows:

“Sue I need to speak to a person with authority over Carlos Gallego, he is obviously not wanting to help me or be fair, the repairing dealer spoke to him and hestoppedthe repairs being covered under warranty, when the main dealer told him that it was a fault of the car and should be covered, this and the battery should be covered, can you please put me in touch with somebody who can help me?”

We heard nothing so wrote the following:

“I think that you will agree that I have now hit a brick wall with Land Rover. Land Rover really have no interest in my case, or wish tohonourits warranty obligation.

I am not going to let this matter rest, Land Rovers´ attitude to a client spending almost 60,000€ on one of their cars is beyondbelief, so I m advising you that I will now be taking the following initial action:

1)Optimisea websitehttp://www.landroverhell.com/toappearon the first page of search engine for as broad as possiblecriteriafor any search for Land Rover products (I can easily do this because I own a Search EngineOptimisationcompany).

2) Write to all of the UK national press and motoring press with details of my plight also informing them of the website that I have set up, and why.

3) Have a member of my staff spend considerable time writing on motoring and consumer blogs about thisappallingsituation.

4) Have a specialist examine the car to write a report and subsequently consult with a solicitor about taking on my case tocommencelegal actionagainstLand Rover Spain.

I will subsequently do the same for Spain and America.

I will be taking all of the above action because I feel very badly treated and let down by Land Rover, and feel that this treatment and lack of care must be made available to the public domain.”

11th December 2009

This prompted a response from Sue Beesley!

“I have viewed your website and understand your sentiments, however, couldI respectfully ask that you remove my contact details. There are a number of executives available to handle customer issues including first port of call telephone number 08705 000500. I am not in the position to respond asa single point of contact. Please be assuredIhave forwarded your last email to Mr Gallego and he has assured me he will respond.”

We also received a response from Carlos Gallego:

“Following our conversation when your car was in Portugal some days ago, we can confirm that the repair has been completed in Autonáutica, our Dealership in Benidorm, and your car is ready for you to collect (as it has been informed to you by different ways).

According to the information and pictures we have received, the failure could have been caused by user error. Nevertheless, it is not fair and possible for us as a brand to ask a customer to pay for a repair when his car is under warranty if there is not a total security of this statement.

This is why we have decided to assume the cost of this repair as a goodwill gesture and without prejudice, and reimburse you the cost of the battery replacement in our Dealership in Portugal as soon as you send us a copy of the invoice that you paid and your bank account details.

I do hope the above content will bring closure to this matter and I hope you are assured of our best intentions.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Gallego
Customer Care & Homologations Manager
Jaguar & Land Rover Spain and Portugal
Tel.-  00 34 91 578 61 68 
Fax.- 00 34 91 578 62 92
cgalleg2@jaguarlandrover.com

We wrote back to Carlos Gallego as follows:

“Thank you for your email, sorry I am not clear about the latest repair to the gearbox module, yesterday I was told by the dealer that I would have to pay, have you now told the dealer that I now have nothing to pay?”

His response was:

“The part that has been replaced is the transfer boxmodule, that is fitted close to the battery (the gearbox moduleisin the interior of the gearbox) and I have confirmed with the staff of Autonáutica right this morning that no charge should be claimed to you by this repair. So, the car is ready and at your disposal.”

12th December 2008

We wrote back to Sue Beesley as follows:

“I have as requested removed your contact details, I thank you for your help in dealing with Spain because I think without your help nothing would have been done. I am still verygrievedwith their attitude and the way I have been so badly treated, and I must now press on with my request for a full refund via theavenuesthat I had previously outlined.”

Sue Beesley´s response was:

“Thank you for your email and acknowledging my request - it is much appreciated. I am happy that Spain have now responded in a positive manner and that you can move forward. It remains for me to wish you a very happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.”

We wrote a “without prejudice” letter to both Sue Beesley and Carlos Gallego

“Thank you for your reply informing me that the cost of repairs would be covered by Land Rover, I appreciate that, but this is no less than what should happen under your 3 year warranty.

But still, you are implying that the fault could have been caused by “user error”, and only agreeing to the pay the costs as you have not “total security of the statement”, meaning that you have no proof that it was caused by “user error”. I know 100% that the problem was nothing to do with any “user error”. This fact alone has made us feel that we were to blame and Land Rover was trying to avoid their responsibilities and make us pay.

However, the facts still remain over the appalling way we have been treated throughout the whole of this time of waiting for my car to be repaired. Putting the financial matters aside regarding this latest problem, I don’t think Land Rover realise the other inconveniences we have endured, such as;

· The loss of 2 days of our holiday, waiting at garages for the car to be repaired, but never was.

· The failing to give us a substitute hire car, thus loosing more of our holiday (as it involved towing a hot air balloon on a trailer, therefore we could not fly the balloon)

· The cost of numerous phone calls, as we were phoning-cross countries all the time.

· Having to leave the trailer inPortugalwith its expensive contents, and having to return with a borrowed car, which meant a trip of 1900km, and petrol amounting to 600euros.

But the worry of the situation, not knowing when we could see our car again, and the way Land Rover shifted the responsibilities have been of paramount stress.

It is the second time we have been stranded abroad with the same car, and subsequently returning home without the car. I am sure that you will agree that the car is not of merchantable quality, having spent a lot of its short life in the garage (Autonautica, Benidorm can enforce this). I don’t have any confidence in the car´s reliablility now and would be grateful if Land Rover will refund in full the retail cost of this car plus provide me a level of compensation for all of the distress and inconvenience that this car has caused us, in order that I can purchase a brand more reliable. In the meantime I would be grateful if the above mentioned costs could be met.”

15th December 2008

We received the following response from Carlos Gallego:

“As per our last email, we have assumed the last costs as a goodwill gesture, but even the warranty does not cover the new costs you are asking for us (phone calls, fuel...), what makes not possible for us to extend our goodwill gesture.

On the other hand we have evaluated this situation and the history of repairs of your car, and according to that we cannot consider the possibility of a refund or buy-back of your car.”

We wrote back to Carlos Gallego:

“As a follow on to the correspondence regarding the above car, as you know we finally got it back on the 11thNovember, and did a motorway trip two days later on the 13th, and experienced the warning light “system fault-system shut down”. We ground to a halt on the hard shoulder and had to wait ten minutes and then restart the car. This was at night, in the rain, and very dangerous.

The car is unbelievable! it is not safe, not reliable or of merchantable quality, Consequently, I would be grateful if you could respond to my request for a full refund before somebody gets killed.”

We received the following response:-

“If the car is failing you have got all our Dealership network at your disposal to check and repair the car. With regards to your question about the refund our answer is the same that we sent to you in my last email.”

So we wrote back:-

“The car is failing because it is no good. I have just collected it from the dealership (after a month off the road) and it was there for almost three weeksbefore then, so how can you say that the car is good and does not warrant a refund when it is always in the dealership, and you expect me to take it back again after only just getting it back!

How can you seriously think that I do not have any reason to request a full refund?”

Obviously clearly not interested Carlos Gallego´s response was:-

“I am afraid I have nothing else to add to my last email: if the car is failing it will have to go to the workshop and according to the current situation we are not going to refund the cost of the car.”


22nd December 2009

Having received payment for a small fraction of our expenses we wrote again to Carlos Gallego

“Thank you for the payment of € which I had to pay in Portugal, but what about all of the otherexpensesthat Iincurred, do you not feel a obligation to refund me these also?

Also can you please advise me if you are now in a position to either offer me a full refund, or a replacement car, surely you must agree that the car is not reliable and of merchantable quality or fit for thepurposefor which it was sold and purchased.”

We received the normal response from Carlos Gallego:-

“As I wrote you some days ago, if the car is failing you have got all our Dealerships network at your disposal to work with your car, and obviously it is your decision if youcontinue driving your car although it is failing (according to your communication).”

We wrote back again:

“Thanks for your reply, so will this repair becoveredunder the warranty, because it is aninherentsoftware fault? When I had this fault before all the dealer would say is that the software needs resetting and nothing could be done! So what do I do now? “

Carlos Gallego`s short response was:

“We can not assume anything until the car is at the Dealership.”

So reluctantly we saw no option but to agree to take the car back to the dealership. We wrote to Carlos Gallego to confirm this and to repeat our requests:-

“OK, I will have to take the car to the dealership then, so more time off the road when I am unable to use the car! I cannot do this until the New Year.

You did not answer my question below:

Do you and Land Rover think that it is correct that I paid close to 60,000€ for a car two and a half years ago and now I am unable to use it because it keeps breaking down? Is this normal for a Land Rover product, do you not feel any liability towards me because the vehicle is no good for the purpose that it was made for?

I am simply astounded by your attitude. You do not treat me like a valued customer but like a piece of dirt. Are you seriously not going to do anymore to help me, and leave me with a car that I cannot use?”

Carlos Gallego´s response was far from satisfactory. He merely wrote:

“Please, let us know when the car is at the workshop for us to follow up the repair”


9th January 2009

At the beginning of the New Year we thought we`d try again, so we wrote to Carlos Gallego:

“I wrote to you just before Christmas regarding the ongoing problems with my Discovery. Two months ago the car was in the garage for weeks to sort out a vibration problem. However within the last few days the problem seems to be returning. I keep getting warnings come up with "Transmission Problem” and also the car shutting down and leaving me temporary stranded.

I am fed up with having to keep taking the car into the dealership, and it always being off of the road. I need a car that works! I know that I have had the car two and a half years, but the car cost me 60,000€ certainlyLand Rover cannot expect or be happy that after I have chosen to invest all this money in one of your products, the car simply is not fit for the purpose that I bought it (its not reliable) and subsequently therefore I cannot rely on the car to travel any distance any more.

The car is constantly causing problems and although in principal I am happy with the car as when it runs smoothly it is the ideal car for me, it is too unreliable. After paying a substantial amount for it I really am not happy with the situation and feel more should be done to help me in my quest to find an amicable arrangement resulting in a car that works!

I would therefore be grateful to hear of any updates to the situation, or please replace this car with one that is reliable and you would be proud to wear the Land Rover badge.”

12th January 2009

And once again Carlos Gallego wasn`t interested he wrote back just telling us to take the car to the dealership.

He wrote ”I am afraid nothing has changed since our last email. If the car is failing it should be driven (or towed) to the workshop, and although the car is out of warranty, we will follow up the repair until confirming that the car is performing.”

14th January 2009

With a complete lack of interest from Carlos Gallego, we decided to contact Mr David Smith the Chief Executive of the Land Rover Group. We wrote the following letter to him:

“I am sending you this letter as a final resort after having a string of problems with my Spanish registered Land Rover Discovery.

After purchasing the car two and a half years ago, we have had two major problems with it and a list of other faults which have resulted in the car being away in the workshop for long periods. At the beginning, we could live with this, but now,the problems are still ongoing and I cannot rely on at all. The latest being this week when the car suffered a system shutdown four times on the motorway and I had to pull onto the hard shoulder to restart the engine.

Over the last two years we have lost days of our holiday, returned home toSpainfromPortugalon two occasions without the car, and spent hundreds of Euros personally, with no reimbursement whatsoever. We have also been accused of causing the problem, and being told the repairs would not be covered by warranty, when clearly it was! This speaks nothing of the stress of having to leave our trailer with two hot air balloons on parked up in a different country until we could borrow a car to collect it.

Apart from the unreliability and problematic nature of the car, the lack of care or help from Land Rover has been unbelievable. (The Roadside Assistance and the garage in Benidorm have been very helpful though; with them I have no problems whatsoever).

In theory, I am happy with the car as it does the job for which I bought it very well (towing a hot air balloon trailer). However, it is too unreliable to trust now. I cannot believe that after spending this amount of money on a car, a Company as large and prestigious as yours appears not at all interested in their customers after they have parted with their cash.

Are all your products still so unreliable? When one buys a product and it is faulty, a replacement is generally issued. Therefore when someone has spent a vast amount on a car that it is faulty, I do not feel it is too much of an imposition in asking for a replacement, in which you can trust to be reliable.”

20th January 2009

We received a brief response from Tom Hawkes in the Executive Office of Land Rover UK, who firstly apologised for all the inconvenience and frustration this matter has caused us and also advised that he would investigate all matters and respond to us.

27th January 2009

We then received the following response from Tom Hawkes of the Executive Office of Land Rover UK:

“Further to your recent letter dated 9th January 2009 and the subsequent response from myself, I have had the opportunity to review your concerns on behalf of the Chief Executive, Mr David Smith.

Given that your concerns relate to a vehicle based in Spain, I have been in contact with Land Rover Spain to discuss this matter further. I have been advised that it is their intention to contact you directly regarding the concerns you raised in your letter to Mr Smith and that you can expect to hear from them shortly. I have asked that I be kept up to date on the outcome of this matter.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for bringing this matter to Mr Smith's attention.”

We wrote back:

“Thank you Tom, I reallyappreciateyour help. The problem is that if you arerelyingon Carlos Gallego of Land Rover Spain to sort this out we are not going to get anywhere because he is not at all interested.

The problem is that the car keeps letting me down, has left me stranded in another country on twooccasions, keeps shutting down andnecessitatingstoppingthe car why the system resets, the transmission vibrates through the car, and I am unable to use the car on anyjourneywith a distance for fear of breaking down, what I want to know is if this is a product that you are proud of, have I got a Lemon, and if so why won´t Land Rover either refund me or provide a replacement? I paid a lot of money for what is classed as a premium product, and it is with respect the biggest waste of money I have ever had, I bought it for a purpose, for my business, and it can´t be used, I have four other cars, all of these are reliable so why can´t this be?

Once again I reallyappreciateyour help and I am relying on your office to remedy the terrible situation that I find myself in.”

29th January 2009

We received another response from Tom Hawkes, he wrote:

“I have been in contact with Land Rover Spain regarding your email and have been advisedthat you contacted Carlos Gallego on the 15th December 2008 making him aware that your vehicle had failed again. It is my understanding that Carlos recommended that you takethe vehicle to your nearest franchised Land Rover dealership to have the concernsinvestigated but that this advice was rejected.

On the back of this information, I must stress howimportant it is thatyoubook your vehicle in with your nearest franchised Land Rover dealership. Without this I feelthat Land Rover Spain are unable to assist you in addressing this matter further.

Please be assured that Land Rover Spainwant to investigate your issues with the assistance ofyour Land Rover dealership andwith the support of Land Rover's Technical department. “

4th February 2009

We then heard from Carlos Gallego. He wrote:

“We acknowledge receipt of your emails to Land Rover UK, with regards to your Discovery 3. They have asked us to handle this issue as we are responsible for the Land Rover market in Spain.

I note your comments in relation to Land Rover Spain refunding or replacing your vehicle, I'm afraid that we are not able to meet with this request. As previously advised by Land Rover UK, may I respectfully request that your vehicle is booked in with your nearest franchised Land Rover dealership. I assure you that we will oversee the investigations of the concerns you have reported and will endeavour to resolve them to your satisfaction”.

We wrote back to Tom Hakes to advise him of our problems with the vehicle over the weekend:

“Unfortunately my serious problems with this vehicle are still ongoing. Over the weekend I drove toAlicanteand the car simply does not have the power that it should. Added to this is the fact that black smoke constantly pours from the exhaust. Something is clearly drastically wrong with it in addition to all the faults I have already reported and I am concerned for my safety and that of my family when travelling in it. As I have explained, the car has constantly been in the dealership and therefore unusable. One buys a car in order to be able to drive it and I must now insist that you replace this vehicle with one that is safe, reliable andusable. I do not want to keep taking it to the dealership because it isunserviceable.”

6th February 2009

Unfortunately we received a response from Tom Hawkes similar to those we receive from Carlos Gallego. Tom Hawkes wrote:

“I'm sorry to learn that you are still havingproblems with your vehicle.

I note your requestthat Land Rover replaces your vehicle however, I am unable to accede to thisrequest.As advised previously by bothmyself and Land Rover Spain, youneed to book your vehicle in with your nearest franchised Land Rover dealership to have the cause of the concerns further investigated.

Please be assured that Land Rover Spain will do everything they can to assist in this matter. “

9th February 2009

We wrote the following response to Tom Hawkes

“Thank you for your email. However, to suggest that I continue to take my faulty vehicle into the dealership is not acceptable. It is most inconvenient to have to continually arrange to go to the dealership and leave the car there so I am without transport. Then when it is returned to me yet more faults come to light. It is not normal to have to continually do this and breaking down,a permanent solution must now be found i.e. you provide me with a functioning and safe replacement, don`t forget that I have invested close to 60,000€ in a car which is not fit for the purpose for which is was supplied.”

10th February 2009

Tom Hawkes replied:

“I am sorry that my reply has not met with your approval, it has not been my intention to antagonise this matter further.

The only way for this matter to progress is for your vehicle to be inspected by a dealership with supervision from Land Rover Spain. I feel that unless this is done, we are unable to assist you further.”

We wrote back:

“So what are you saying, if I take my car again to my local Land Rover dealer in Spain, he will advise you of all of the problems, and you will thenconsiderproviding me a replacement based upon the current faults and all of the countless previous ones?

If this is the case perhaps your Spanish office can book the car in for me explaining what has to be done, and it is at Land Roversexpense.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.”

11th February 2009

We received a response from Tom Hawkes saying he has forwarded our email to Carlos Gallego.

13th February 2009

We heard from Carlos Gallego, he wrote the following to us:

“Following the exchange of emails with Tom Hawkes, he has asked us again to answer to your last communication.

To avoid any misunderstanding due to the fact that several people are participating in all communications we would like to state the following:

- We received and email from you last 15/12/2008 telling us that the car seemed to be failing. Since then and although we have insisted many times, you have decided to keep on driving the car and not taking it to any Land Rover workshop.

- If you take your car to any of our official Land Rover workshops we will be glad of following up the repair until confirming that the car is performing correctly. Nevertheless your car is not covered under warranty so the cost of any repair will have to be assumed by the owner.

- As we have informed you before once we evaluated deeply this issue, we are not going to replace your car or reimburse the cost.

Once we have expressed clearly our position we remain at your disposal and will wait for your news. “

16th February 2009

We replied to Carlos Gallego:

“Thank you for your email of 13th February which states that I am free to take my car to my local dealer to be fixed and that I would be liable for all repair costs as the car is out of warranty. As you know the problems we havewith the car started immediately when it was returned to us from the workshop(after having the gear box repaired)together with three breakdowns. This was when the car was still under warranty. The problems the car has now all started when it was in warranty. Therefore I cannot believe that you assume I should be responsible for the costs.

The warranty expired at the end of last year, but I was the first user of the car and have not yet owned it for three years (and a lot of this time I was unable to use it due tobreakdownsand extended time spent in your workshops), so in effect, the car sat idle in the showroom for the first months of its warranty, so if it was three years from date of purchase the vehicle would and should still be under warranty. I also have not been driving the car much at all recently, as I wouldn’t trust it to get me anywhere! It is meant to be a reliable car,therefore I ask you, do you really think it is acceptable that a car of this value is continually having problems? I own four other cars, and not one of them breaks down. I am unable to understand why Land Rover expects me to put up with this and will not replace the car?

The car is booked in at Benidorm for Thursday for the work to be done, so please talk to them about it. These are inherent problems which I don’t feel fair that I should pay for. Bearing in mind the car’s history of problems and unreliability, I also request that you extend the warranty and roadside assistance foranothertwo years, can you please confirm that you will be happy to provide this?”

The response we received from Carlos Gallego was brief:

“As we expressed in our former email, we will follow up the repair as soon as your car is in the workshop.

On the other hand, I am afraid that no other goodwill gesture will be assumed from our side regarding this issue.”

We wrote to Tom Hawkes in the UK again

“You do not know how upset the poor customer service that I receive from Spain makes me. I feel that I am a piece of dirt just trying to get what I thought I had purchased, a reliable car, you have the wrong man in this job, and he is doing your company nofavours, that is why I contacted your Head Office, this situation is not acceptable. I should not be asked to pay for any of this work, they areinherentfaults of the car, which I strongly feel is the responsibility ofLandRover, so please assist on this matter. Does Land Rover not understand my situation? How can a company such as yours treat clients who spend this sort of money so badly? I unfortunately own a car which as far as I am concerned cost me a small fortune to buy, and it is no good, if you will not replace it please extend the warranty to give me someassistance.”

18th February 2009

We received yet another unsatisfactory response from Tom Hawkes. He wrote:

“Thank you for your email. I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with Land Rover Spain.

In every country where Land Rover has a national presence there is a National Centre to deal with those countries concerns. I can confirm that Land Rover Spain are responsible for all decisions made in relation to your vehicle.

I have provided you with the contact details for Land RoverSpain which can be found below. Should you wish to contact Land Rover in the future please may I respectfully request that you direct your enquiries to the address below.Due to differences in local consumer law and different regional product specifications it would be impossible to cover centrally.

I am sorry that you feel this matter remains unresolved, Land Rover does understand your situation, however, as previously advised by both myself and Land Rover Spain you have been askedto take your vehicle to the dealership to have yourconcerns investigated.Unless this advice is followed, we will not be entering into any further correspondence in this matter. Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble of writing to me.”

We replied to Tom Hawkes as follows:

“Thanks for your reply. I am taking the car in tomorrow. I note your comments regarding the Spanish office, but I am not happy with the attitude ofCarlos Gallegothat is why I am addressing my correspondence to a higher authority, you the manufacturers who I holdultimatelyresponsiblefor this sub standard vehicle. So please do not pass your responsibilities to Spain who clearly have no interest in my case.”

24th February 2009

We received a response from the garage telling us what is wrong with the vehicle.

25th February 2009

Upon receipt of the information from the garage, we wrote to Carlos Gallego as follows:

“I have now taken my car into the dealership and they haveconfirmedthe problems below, because these problems arise from problems which were either not fixed correctly under warranty previously, andwithinthe three years that I have owned the vehicle, I would respectfully ask that Land Rover covers these under the warranty, if you can attend to this I will be mostgratefuland I will then try to enjoy having this vehicle again.”

Carlos Gallego wrote back and said:

“After checking the history of repairs under warranty of your car, we cannot find anything related with the current failure in the past during warranty period.

Then, I am afraid we cannot cover this repair under warrantyor goodwill gesture”

So we wrote back again!

“Thank you for your reply, but if you talk to the dealership in Benidorm or see their warranty claim, the vehicle was there in October for a vibration through the car. It was there almost a month, this is the fault that the vehicle is in for together with the loss of power which was the state of the vehicle when it was returned. The vibration problem returned so was never fixed properly, so I think it is only fair that this time it should be fixed correctly and under warranty, also to reprogram the computer should be covered because it was reprogrammed when it was last there for the transmission problems, so obviously it was not done correctly, so Irespectfullyonce again ask for these repairs to be covered under warranty.”

And Carlos Gallego wrote back:

“The repair that was carried out in October consisted in replacement of fuel pump and EGR, and reprogramming of engine control unit. In December a new transfer control unit was fitted and reprogrammed. As you can see, nothing related to gearbox control unit or hoses.

So, no warranty or goodwill gesture can be applied.”

So we wrote back again!

“Whatever the case the car has gone back for the same problem as in October, and it has returned concluding that theythat they did not fix it properly the first time, its the same problem, its not a new problem, that is why I feel that it should be fixed under warranty, ask the dealership if you do notbelieveme!

I feel very frustrated that the car continues to have faults and Land Rover has no interest in helping me, you as a company cannot be proud of the product that I have been sold, itsunreliabilityor continued problems, this is not normal for a car of this age, so please on thisoccasionshow some goodwill and responsibility for the product and pay for all of these repairs.”

On the same day, we wrote to Tom Hawkes asking for a convenient time to call him to discuss the vehicle.

26th February 2009

We received a very short response from Carlos Gallego

“As we have confirmed in previous emails, there will not be any goodwill gesture with the current repair.”

Obviously feeling very frustrated with the clear lack of care from Land Rover Spain and Carlos Gallego in particular we wrote back:

“You and your company are dishonest, and shirk your responsibilities and obligations, as soon as I can replace this car the better. I will not let this matter rest, your customer service is the worst I have everexperienced, you are a disgrace to the motor industry. I will do all that I can to stop any other person buying a Jaguar Land Rover product, and making the same mistake as me and will now look at other avenues to reclaim compensation from Land RoverSpain.

You seem unable to grasp that when a client spends 60,000€ on a car they expect it not to keep breaking down, and a certainlevelof service, if you are proud of your customer support you should be in another job, thanks for nothing.”

We also received a response from Tom Hawkes advising us that he cannot do anything to help and that we should deal with Land Rover Spain.

2nd March 2009

So we wrote to Tom Hawkes again:

“I bought this matter to the attention of Land Rover HQ because I would have thought that you would not have liked your product to be so badly represented by your Spanish concessionaries.


The car has hardly been used since in was last in for repair, it has developed more faults which I now have to pay for! I have never had a car that this has happened to. What I am trying to make known to David Smith is, is he happy that for a client spending 60,000€ on a Land Rover product you have provided a sufficient level of service, customer care and warranty? Is this particular car of the standard that you expect? Are you happy that the vehicle is always breaking down and need of repair? Are you happy that a vehicle of less than three years of ownership is now costing the owner of this vehicle money for repairs that should be covered under warranty? If so he then Land Rover should be ashamed, and are a disgrace to the motor trade.”

To Date

No reply, despite sending this letter 3 times, obviously Land Rover are not interested in providing a reliable product or any form of customer service to their clients.

We wrote back to Carlos Gallego as follows:

“Thank you for your email, sorry I am not clear about the latest repair to the gearbox module, yesterday I was told by the dealer that I would have to pay, have you now told the dealer that I now have nothing to pay?”

His response was:

“The part that has been replaced is the transfer boxmodule, that is fitted close to the battery (the gearbox moduleisin the interior of the gearbox) and I have confirmed with the staff of Autonáutica right this morning that no charge should be claimed to you by this repair. So, the car is ready and at your disposal.”

12th December 2008

We wrote back to Sue Beesley as follows:

“I have as requested removed your contact details, I thank you for your help in dealing with Spain because I think without your help nothing would have been done. I am still verygrievedwith their attitude and the way I have been so badly treated, and I must now press on with my request for a full refund via theavenuesthat I had previously outlined.”

Sue Beesley´s response was:

“Thank you for your email and acknowledging my request - it is much appreciated. I am happy that Spain have now responded in a positive manner and that you can move forward. It remains for me to wish you a very happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.”

We wrote a “without prejudice” letter to both Sue Beesley and Carlos Gallego

“Thank you for your reply informing me that the cost of repairs would be covered by Land Rover, I appreciate that, but this is no less than what should happen under your 3 year warranty.

But still, you are implying that the fault could have been caused by “user error”, and only agreeing to the pay the costs as you have not “total security of the statement”, meaning that you have no proof that it was caused by “user error”. I know 100% that the problem was nothing to do with any “user error”. This fact alone has made us feel that we were to blame and Land Rover was trying to avoid their responsibilities and make us pay.

However, the facts still remain over the appalling way we have been treated throughout the whole of this time of waiting for my car to be repaired. Putting the financial matters aside regarding this latest problem, I don’t think Land Rover realise the other inconveniences we have endured, such as;

· The loss of 2 days of our holiday, waiting at garages for the car to be repaired, but never was.

· The failing to give us a substitute hire car, thus loosing more of our holiday (as it involved towing a hot air balloon on a trailer, therefore we could not fly the balloon)

· The cost of numerous phone calls, as we were phoning-cross countries all the time.

· Having to leave the trailer inPortugalwith its expensive contents, and having to return with a borrowed car, which meant a trip of 1900km, and petrol amounting to 600euros.

But the worry of the situation, not knowing when we could see our car again, and the way Land Rover shifted the responsibilities have been of paramount stress.

It is the second time we have been stranded abroad with the same car, and subsequently returning home without the car. I am sure that you will agree that the car is not of merchantable quality, having spent a lot of its short life in the garage (Autonautica, Benidorm can enforce this). I don’t have any confidence in the car´s reliablility now and would be grateful if Land Rover will refund in full the retail cost of this car plus provide me a level of compensation for all of the distress and inconvenience that this car has caused us, in order that I can purchase a brand more reliable. In the meantime I would be grateful if the above mentioned costs could be met.”

15th December 2008

We received the following response from Carlos Gallego:

“As per our last email, we have assumed the last costs as a goodwill gesture, but even the warranty does not cover the new costs you are asking for us (phone calls, fuel...), what makes not possible for us to extend our goodwill gesture.

On the other hand we have evaluated this situation and the history of repairs of your car, and according to that we cannot consider the possibility of a refund or buy-back of your car.”

We wrote back to Carlos Gallego:

“As a follow on to the correspondence regarding the above car, as you know we finally got it back on the 11thNovember, and did a motorway trip two days later on the 13th, and experienced the warning light “system fault-system shut down”. We ground to a halt on the hard shoulder and had to wait ten minutes and then restart the car. This was at night, in the rain, and very dangerous.

The car is unbelievable! it is not safe, not reliable or of merchantable quality, Consequently, I would be grateful if you could respond to my request for a full refund before somebody gets killed.”

We received the following response:-

“If the car is failing you have got all our Dealership network at your disposal to check and repair the car. With regards to your question about the refund our answer is the same that we sent to you in my last email.”

So we wrote back:-

“The car is failing because it is no good. I have just collected it from the dealership (after a month off the road) and it was there for almost three weeksbefore then, so how can you say that the car is good and does not warrant a refund when it is always in the dealership, and you expect me to take it back again after only just getting it back!

How can you seriously think that I do not have any reason to request a full refund?”

Obviously clearly not interested Carlos Gallego´s response was:-

“I am afraid I have nothing else to add to my last email: if the car is failing it will have to go to the workshop and according to the current situation we are not going to refund the cost of the car.”


22nd December 2009

Having received payment for a small fraction of our expenses we wrote again to Carlos Gallego

“Thank you for the payment of € which I had to pay in Portugal, but what about all of the otherexpensesthat Iincurred, do you not feel a obligation to refund me these also?

Also can you please advise me if you are now in a position to either offer me a full refund, or a replacement car, surely you must agree that the car is not reliable and of merchantable quality or fit for thepurposefor which it was sold and purchased.”

We received the normal response from Carlos Gallego:-

“As I wrote you some days ago, if the car is failing you have got all our Dealerships network at your disposal to work with your car, and obviously it is your decision if youcontinue driving your car although it is failing (according to your communication).”

We wrote back again:

“Thanks for your reply, so will this repair becoveredunder the warranty, because it is aninherentsoftware fault? When I had this fault before all the dealer would say is that the software needs resetting and nothing could be done! So what do I do now? “

Carlos Gallego`s short response was:

“We can not assume anything until the car is at the Dealership.”

So reluctantly we saw no option but to agree to take the car back to the dealership. We wrote to Carlos Gallego to confirm this and to repeat our requests:-

“OK, I will have to take the car to the dealership then, so more time off the road when I am unable to use the car! I cannot do this until the New Year.

You did not answer my question below:

Do you and Land Rover think that it is correct that I paid close to 60,000€ for a car two and a half years ago and now I am unable to use it because it keeps breaking down? Is this normal for a Land Rover product, do you not feel any liability towards me because the vehicle is no good for the purpose that it was made for?

I am simply astounded by your attitude. You do not treat me like a valued customer but like a piece of dirt. Are you seriously not going to do anymore to help me, and leave me with a car that I cannot use?”

Carlos Gallego´s response was far from satisfactory. He merely wrote:

“Please, let us know when the car is at the workshop for us to follow up the repair”


9th January 2009

At the beginning of the New Year we thought we`d try again, so we wrote to Carlos Gallego:

“I wrote to you just before Christmas regarding the ongoing problems with my Discovery. Two months ago the car was in the garage for weeks to sort out a vibration problem. However within the last few days the problem seems to be returning. I keep getting warnings come up with "Transmission Problem” and also the car shutting down and leaving me temporary stranded.

I am fed up with having to keep taking the car into the dealership, and it always being off of the road. I need a car that works! I know that I have had the car two and a half years, but the car cost me 60,000€ certainlyLand Rover cannot expect or be happy that after I have chosen to invest all this money in one of your products, the car simply is not fit for the purpose that I bought it (its not reliable) and subsequently therefore I cannot rely on the car to travel any distance any more.

The car is constantly causing problems and although in principal I am happy with the car as when it runs smoothly it is the ideal car for me, it is too unreliable. After paying a substantial amount for it I really am not happy with the situation and feel more should be done to help me in my quest to find an amicable arrangement resulting in a car that works!

I would therefore be grateful to hear of any updates to the situation, or please replace this car with one that is reliable and you would be proud to wear the Land Rover badge.”

12th January 2009

And once again Carlos Gallego wasn`t interested he wrote back just telling us to take the car to the dealership.

He wrote ”I am afraid nothing has changed since our last email. If the car is failing it should be driven (or towed) to the workshop, and although the car is out of warranty, we will follow up the repair until confirming that the car is performing.”

14th January 2009

With a complete lack of interest from Carlos Gallego, we decided to contact Mr David Smith the Chief Executive of the Land Rover Group. We wrote the following letter to him:

“I am sending you this letter as a final resort after having a string of problems with my Spanish registered Land Rover Discovery.

After purchasing the car two and a half years ago, we have had two major problems with it and a list of other faults which have resulted in the car being away in the workshop for long periods. At the beginning, we could live with this, but now,the problems are still ongoing and I cannot rely on at all. The latest being this week when the car suffered a system shutdown four times on the motorway and I had to pull onto the hard shoulder to restart the engine.

Over the last two years we have lost days of our holiday, returned home toSpainfromPortugalon two occasions without the car, and spent hundreds of Euros personally, with no reimbursement whatsoever. We have also been accused of causing the problem, and being told the repairs would not be covered by warranty, when clearly it was! This speaks nothing of the stress of having to leave our trailer with two hot air balloons on parked up in a different country until we could borrow a car to collect it.

Apart from the unreliability and problematic nature of the car, the lack of care or help from Land Rover has been unbelievable. (The Roadside Assistance and the garage in Benidorm have been very helpful though; with them I have no problems whatsoever).

In theory, I am happy with the car as it does the job for which I bought it very well (towing a hot air balloon trailer). However, it is too unreliable to trust now. I cannot believe that after spending this amount of money on a car, a Company as large and prestigious as yours appears not at all interested in their customers after they have parted with their cash.

Are all your products still so unreliable? When one buys a product and it is faulty, a replacement is generally issued. Therefore when someone has spent a vast amount on a car that it is faulty, I do not feel it is too much of an imposition in asking for a replacement, in which you can trust to be reliable.”

20th January 2009

We received a brief response from Tom Hawkes in the Executive Office of Land Rover UK, who firstly apologised for all the inconvenience and frustration this matter has caused us and also advised that he would investigate all matters and respond to us.

27th January 2009

We then received the following response from Tom Hawkes of the Executive Office of Land Rover UK:

“Further to your recent letter dated 9th January 2009 and the subsequent response from myself, I have had the opportunity to review your concerns on behalf of the Chief Executive, Mr David Smith.

Given that your concerns relate to a vehicle based in Spain, I have been in contact with Land Rover Spain to discuss this matter further. I have been advised that it is their intention to contact you directly regarding the concerns you raised in your letter to Mr Smith and that you can expect to hear from them shortly. I have asked that I be kept up to date on the outcome of this matter.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for bringing this matter to Mr Smith's attention.”

We wrote back:

“Thank you Tom, I reallyappreciateyour help. The problem is that if you arerelyingon Carlos Gallego of Land Rover Spain to sort this out we are not going to get anywhere because he is not at all interested.

The problem is that the car keeps letting me down, has left me stranded in another country on twooccasions, keeps shutting down andnecessitatingstoppingthe car why the system resets, the transmission vibrates through the car, and I am unable to use the car on anyjourneywith a distance for fear of breaking down, what I want to know is if this is a product that you are proud of, have I got a Lemon, and if so why won´t Land Rover either refund me or provide a replacement? I paid a lot of money for what is classed as a premium product, and it is with respect the biggest waste of money I have ever had, I bought it for a purpose, for my business, and it can´t be used, I have four other cars, all of these are reliable so why can´t this be?

Once again I reallyappreciateyour help and I am relying on your office to remedy the terrible situation that I find myself in.”

29th January 2009

We received another response from Tom Hawkes, he wrote:

“I have been in contact with Land Rover Spain regarding your email and have been advisedthat you contacted Carlos Gallego on the 15th December 2008 making him aware that your vehicle had failed again. It is my understanding that Carlos recommended that you takethe vehicle to your nearest franchised Land Rover dealership to have the concernsinvestigated but that this advice was rejected.

On the back of this information, I must stress howimportant it is thatyoubook your vehicle in with your nearest franchised Land Rover dealership. Without this I feelthat Land Rover Spain are unable to assist you in addressing this matter further.

Please be assured that Land Rover Spainwant to investigate your issues with the assistance ofyour Land Rover dealership andwith the support of Land Rover's Technical department. “

4th February 2009

We then heard from Carlos Gallego. He wrote:

“We acknowledge receipt of your emails to Land Rover UK, with regards to your Discovery 3. They have asked us to handle this issue as we are responsible for the Land Rover market in Spain.

I note your comments in relation to Land Rover Spain refunding or replacing your vehicle, I'm afraid that we are not able to meet with this request. As previously advised by Land Rover UK, may I respectfully request that your vehicle is booked in with your nearest franchised Land Rover dealership. I assure you that we will oversee the investigations of the concerns you have reported and will endeavour to resolve them to your satisfaction”.

We wrote back to Tom Hakes to advise him of our problems with the vehicle over the weekend:

“Unfortunately my serious problems with this vehicle are still ongoing. Over the weekend I drove toAlicanteand the car simply does not have the power that it should. Added to this is the fact that black smoke constantly pours from the exhaust. Something is clearly drastically wrong with it in addition to all the faults I have already reported and I am concerned for my safety and that of my family when travelling in it. As I have explained, the car has constantly been in the dealership and therefore unusable. One buys a car in order to be able to drive it and I must now insist that you replace this vehicle with one that is safe, reliable andusable. I do not want to keep taking it to the dealership because it isunserviceable.”

6th February 2009

Unfortunately we received a response from Tom Hawkes similar to those we receive from Carlos Gallego. Tom Hawkes wrote:

“I'm sorry to learn that you are still havingproblems with your vehicle.

I note your requestthat Land Rover replaces your vehicle however, I am unable to accede to thisrequest.As advised previously by bothmyself and Land Rover Spain, youneed to book your vehicle in with your nearest franchised Land Rover dealership to have the cause of the concerns further investigated.

Please be assured that Land Rover Spain will do everything they can to assist in this matter. “

9th February 2009

We wrote the following response to Tom Hawkes

“Thank you for your email. However, to suggest that I continue to take my faulty vehicle into the dealership is not acceptable. It is most inconvenient to have to continually arrange to go to the dealership and leave the car there so I am without transport. Then when it is returned to me yet more faults come to light. It is not normal to have to continually do this and breaking down,a permanent solution must now be found i.e. you provide me with a functioning and safe replacement, don`t forget that I have invested close to 60,000€ in a car which is not fit for the purpose for which is was supplied.”

10th February 2009

Tom Hawkes replied:

“I am sorry that my reply has not met with your approval, it has not been my intention to antagonise this matter further.

The only way for this matter to progress is for your vehicle to be inspected by a dealership with supervision from Land Rover Spain. I feel that unless this is done, we are unable to assist you further.”

We wrote back:

“So what are you saying, if I take my car again to my local Land Rover dealer in Spain, he will advise you of all of the problems, and you will thenconsiderproviding me a replacement based upon the current faults and all of the countless previous ones?

If this is the case perhaps your Spanish office can book the car in for me explaining what has to be done, and it is at Land Roversexpense.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.”

11th February 2009

We received a response from Tom Hawkes saying he has forwarded our email to Carlos Gallego.

13th February 2009

We heard from Carlos Gallego, he wrote the following to us:

“Following the exchange of emails with Tom Hawkes, he has asked us again to answer to your last communication.

To avoid any misunderstanding due to the fact that several people are participating in all communications we would like to state the following:

- We received and email from you last 15/12/2008 telling us that the car seemed to be failing. Since then and although we have insisted many times, you have decided to keep on driving the car and not taking it to any Land Rover workshop.

- If you take your car to any of our official Land Rover workshops we will be glad of following up the repair until confirming that the car is performing correctly. Nevertheless your car is not covered under warranty so the cost of any repair will have to be assumed by the owner.

- As we have informed you before once we evaluated deeply this issue, we are not going to replace your car or reimburse the cost.

Once we have expressed clearly our position we remain at your disposal and will wait for your news. “

16th February 2009

We replied to Carlos Gallego:

“Thank you for your email of 13th February which states that I am free to take my car to my local dealer to be fixed and that I would be liable for all repair costs as the car is out of warranty. As you know the problems we havewith the car started immediately when it was returned to us from the workshop(after having the gear box repaired)together with three breakdowns. This was when the car was still under warranty. The problems the car has now all started when it was in warranty. Therefore I cannot believe that you assume I should be responsible for the costs.

The warranty expired at the end of last year, but I was the first user of the car and have not yet owned it for three years (and a lot of this time I was unable to use it due tobreakdownsand extended time spent in your workshops), so in effect, the car sat idle in the showroom for the first months of its warranty, so if it was three years from date of purchase the vehicle would and should still be under warranty. I also have not been driving the car much at all recently, as I wouldn’t trust it to get me anywhere! It is meant to be a reliable car,therefore I ask you, do you really think it is acceptable that a car of this value is continually having problems? I own four other cars, and not one of them breaks down. I am unable to understand why Land Rover expects me to put up with this and will not replace the car?

The car is booked in at Benidorm for Thursday for the work to be done, so please talk to them about it. These are inherent problems which I don’t feel fair that I should pay for. Bearing in mind the car’s history of problems and unreliability, I also request that you extend the warranty and roadside assistance foranothertwo years, can you please confirm that you will be happy to provide this?”

The response we received from Carlos Gallego was brief:

“As we expressed in our former email, we will follow up the repair as soon as your car is in the workshop.

On the other hand, I am afraid that no other goodwill gesture will be assumed from our side regarding this issue.”

We wrote to Tom Hawkes in the UK again

“You do not know how upset the poor customer service that I receive from Spain makes me. I feel that I am a piece of dirt just trying to get what I thought I had purchased, a reliable car, you have the wrong man in this job, and he is doing your company nofavours, that is why I contacted your Head Office, this situation is not acceptable. I should not be asked to pay for any of this work, they areinherentfaults of the car, which I strongly feel is the responsibility ofLandRover, so please assist on this matter. Does Land Rover not understand my situation? How can a company such as yours treat clients who spend this sort of money so badly? I unfortunately own a car which as far as I am concerned cost me a small fortune to buy, and it is no good, if you will not replace it please extend the warranty to give me someassistance.”

18th February 2009

We received yet another unsatisfactory response from Tom Hawkes. He wrote:

“Thank you for your email. I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with Land Rover Spain.

In every country where Land Rover has a national presence there is a National Centre to deal with those countries concerns. I can confirm that Land Rover Spain are responsible for all decisions made in relation to your vehicle.

I have provided you with the contact details for Land RoverSpain which can be found below. Should you wish to contact Land Rover in the future please may I respectfully request that you direct your enquiries to the address below.Due to differences in local consumer law and different regional product specifications it would be impossible to cover centrally.

I am sorry that you feel this matter remains unresolved, Land Rover does understand your situation, however, as previously advised by both myself and Land Rover Spain you have been askedto take your vehicle to the dealership to have yourconcerns investigated.Unless this advice is followed, we will not be entering into any further correspondence in this matter. Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble of writing to me.”

We replied to Tom Hawkes as follows:

“Thanks for your reply. I am taking the car in tomorrow. I note your comments regarding the Spanish office, but I am not happy with the attitude ofCarlos Gallegothat is why I am addressing my correspondence to a higher authority, you the manufacturers who I holdultimatelyresponsiblefor this sub standard vehicle. So please do not pass your responsibilities to Spain who clearly have no interest in my case.”

24th February 2009

We received a response from the garage telling us what is wrong with the vehicle.

25th February 2009

Upon receipt of the information from the garage, we wrote to Carlos Gallego as follows:

“I have now taken my car into the dealership and they haveconfirmedthe problems below, because these problems arise from problems which were either not fixed correctly under warranty previously, andwithinthe three years that I have owned the vehicle, I would respectfully ask that Land Rover covers these under the warranty, if you can attend to this I will be mostgratefuland I will then try to enjoy having this vehicle again.”

Carlos Gallego wrote back and said:

“After checking the history of repairs under warranty of your car, we cannot find anything related with the current failure in the past during warranty period.

Then, I am afraid we cannot cover this repair under warrantyor goodwill gesture”

So we wrote back again!

“Thank you for your reply, but if you talk to the dealership in Benidorm or see their warranty claim, the vehicle was there in October for a vibration through the car. It was there almost a month, this is the fault that the vehicle is in for together with the loss of power which was the state of the vehicle when it was returned. The vibration problem returned so was never fixed properly, so I think it is only fair that this time it should be fixed correctly and under warranty, also to reprogram the computer should be covered because it was reprogrammed when it was last there for the transmission problems, so obviously it was not done correctly, so Irespectfullyonce again ask for these repairs to be covered under warranty.”

And Carlos Gallego wrote back:

“The repair that was carried out in October consisted in replacement of fuel pump and EGR, and reprogramming of engine control unit. In December a new transfer control unit was fitted and reprogrammed. As you can see, nothing related to gearbox control unit or hoses.

So, no warranty or goodwill gesture can be applied.”

So we wrote back again!

“Whatever the case the car has gone back for the same problem as in October, and it has returned concluding that theythat they did not fix it properly the first time, its the same problem, its not a new problem, that is why I feel that it should be fixed under warranty, ask the dealership if you do notbelieveme!

I feel very frustrated that the car continues to have faults and Land Rover has no interest in helping me, you as a company cannot be proud of the product that I have been sold, itsunreliabilityor continued problems, this is not normal for a car of this age, so please on thisoccasionshow some goodwill and responsibility for the product and pay for all of these repairs.”

On the same day, we wrote to Tom Hawkes asking for a convenient time to call him to discuss the vehicle.

26th February 2009

We received a very short response from Carlos Gallego

“As we have confirmed in previous emails, there will not be any goodwill gesture with the current repair.”

Obviously feeling very frustrated with the clear lack of care from Land Rover Spain and Carlos Gallego in particular we wrote back:

“You and your company are dishonest, and shirk your responsibilities and obligations, as soon as I can replace this car the better. I will not let this matter rest, your customer service is the worst I have everexperienced, you are a disgrace to the motor industry. I will do all that I can to stop any other person buying a Jaguar Land Rover product, and making the same mistake as me and will now look at other avenues to reclaim compensation from Land RoverSpain.

You seem unable to grasp that when a client spends 60,000€ on a car they expect it not to keep breaking down, and a certainlevelof service, if you are proud of your customer support you should be in another job, thanks for nothing.”

We also received a response from Tom Hawkes advising us that he cannot do anything to help and that we should deal with Land Rover Spain.

2nd March 2009

So we wrote to Tom Hawkes again:

“I bought this matter to the attention of Land Rover HQ because I would have thought that you would not have liked your product to be so badly represented by your Spanish concessionaries.


The car has hardly been used since in was last in for repair, it has developed more faults which I now have to pay for! I have never had a car that this has happened to. What I am trying to make known to David Smith is, is he happy that for a client spending 60,000€ on a Land Rover product you have provided a sufficient level of service, customer care and warranty? Is this particular car of the standard that you expect? Are you happy that the vehicle is always breaking down and need of repair? Are you happy that a vehicle of less than three years of ownership is now costing the owner of this vehicle money for repairs that should be covered under warranty? If so he then Land Rover should be ashamed, and are a disgrace to the motor trade.”

To Date

No reply, despite sending this letter 3 times, obviously Land Rover are not interested in providing a reliable product or any form of customer service to their clients.

my big mistakes buying a Discovery

It is one of my big mistakes buying a Discovery more than five years ago.A car that every time was rainning the water came inside and took time for the problem to be sorted. Water come to my left foot always like the first day. I asked from the beginning for a new car or my money back but was never in their agenda. They do not care and now the car is in the garage and they do not have the parts and they do not care.They treat the client like dirt.

freelander

Can anyone please give me Sue Beesleys email address my time is running out I cannot find it anywhere Thank you Sarah Cohen
Please leave a comment:
* Denotes a required field
*Subject:
*Name:
*Email:
*Comment:
*Please enter the validation code shown above:

Enjoyed this Article?

Please share with other or add to your favourites.

Please Support Our Cause

Recent Comments